August 13, 2022 admin
IMAEC Medntek’s disinfecting wipes and body wipes
Germs are everywhere. They generally concentrate on high-touch surfaces like desks, kitchen tops, doorknobs, handrails, and lift doors. Germs are invisible to the human eye, grow very fast, and can live on any surface. Germs are one of the main causes of to spread of illness. Though germ is the most common term used for these invisible trouble makers, there are four categories of them
1. Bacteria: Bacteria is single-cell organisms. There are good bacteria, but many are harmful to the human body.
2. Viruses: Viruses are smaller than bacteria. They need a living host like cells in the human body to replicate or reproduce. By attacking cells, they harm the human body.
3. Fungi: Fungi favor warm, damp, and dark environments. They grow very fast in such conditions. Though they are not lethal for everyone, for humans with less immunity or immunity-related disorders, fungi can cause lasting harm.
4. Protozoa: Protozoa are also single-cell organisms, mainly found in water bodies. They are one of the main reasons for water contamination and the spread of diseases.
Bacteria and viruses can live on any surface for an extended period. But viruses need the support of other living organisms to survive. So in a short period, they lose the ability to spread diseases. General cleaning methods are not effective on bacteria and viruses. We need to sanitize and disinfect them, to clear them to avoid bacterial and viral infections.
In general, people use the terms ‘sanitizing’ and ‘disinfecting’ synonymously, but they are not. They have different levels of effectiveness. The process of sanitization includes cleaning surfaces with sanitizing agents using different methods. This process decreases the number of germs on any surface to a safe level. But it does not kill all germs. Disinfection includes strong ingredients to clean surfaces. Those ingredients kill and eliminate almost all types of germs.
We live in the world of haste, tension, and stress. Though hygiene is important, it is generally overlooked under work conditions. Washing hands regularly is considered good practice to avoid infections and contagious diseases, but finding a place and a time to do so is a challenge in itself. Here comes a very handy product to help, Wet Wipes.
What are Wet-wipes?
These are made up of moistened non-woven fabric. A variety of materials are used for this fabric and cleansing solutions. Wipes can be made up of plastic, rayon, or bamboo. Cleansing material also varies depending on the purpose or brand. These wipes are available individually packed or in a plastic container. To add little attraction, some manufacturers add little fragrance or moisturizing agents to wipes. Each wipe contains a certain amount of disinfectant.
Types of Wet-wipes:
Wet wipes are available in many types. The main goal is to make them easy to use, handy, and easily disposable. Wipes are used in different conditions but the main purpose of all wipes is to clean the surface instantaneously without fuss. According to use, wipes can be categorized in the following types:
1. Baby wipes
2. Personal Care and Cosmetic Wipes
3. Anti-bacterial Wipes
4. Disinfecting Wipes
Though there are varieties, brands, and names, the two main types of wipes are sanitizing and disinfecting wipes. All body wipes are categorized under sanitizing wipes, whereas anti-bacterial and surface wipes come under disinfecting wipes.
Difference between Body-wipes and Disinfecting wipes:
Wipes are used in various conditions. They are used to clean hands and face, gym-equipments, door knobs, table tops, and kitchen surfaces. And different kinds of wipes are used for different purposes.
Body wipes or sanitizing wipes:
These wipes are used to effectively reduce bacteria. Body wipes are used to clean body parts like hands or face. They can effectively clean hard surfaces. It helps to reduce contamination and transmission of diseases.
Body wipes or Sanitizing wipes are used for:
Body wipes are a safe choice to clean hands because often they are bleach-free or alcohol-free. Bleach or alcohol can cause dryness of the skin and inflect irritation. But these wipes are not meant for cleaning the face. Face skin is delicate and hand wipes can be harmful. Also, these wipes can cause problems to the eyes.
2. Face wash or Cosmetic:
Cosmetic wipes are gentle and the ingredients are skin friendly. They can be used to clean the face and remove makeup.
3. Baby Care:
Baby wipes are gentle, non-toxic, and anti-bacterial. The material used to make these wipes is smooth and the chemicals used are mild. Wipes can be used to clean baby skin. But it can be handy when it comes to clean toys and play-equipments.
4. Hard Surfaces:
Wipes can be used on hard surfaces like desktops, or door knobs. Ingredients of wipes are effective on hard, nonporous surfaces.
Gym-equipments are likely to get contaminated by bacteria and viruses easily. Wipes can be handy to clean these types of equipment and reduce the chances of transmission of diseases.
6. Phones, keyboard equipment, Spectacles:
Mobile wipes are useful to clean mobile screens (with care), and computer/laptop keyboards. Special spectacle wipes are available to clean your spectacle lenses.
Disinfecting wipes used for:
1. Hospitals, Medical Care, and Emergency care center:
These are areas with high contamination chances. Often germ count here is very high compared to others. And this needs deep cleaning frequently. The regular sanitization process is not effective so these places need disinfection regularly. Disinfecting wipes can be used to clean desks, operation tables, equipment, and storage cabinets.
School desks, door handles, lab-equipments, storage cabinets, sports-equipments, and almost every surface in school are likely the potential nursery of germs. To clean it thoroughly disinfection process is necessary. Disinfecting wipes can be handy to clean hard surfaces quickly and effectively.
3. Public Transportation and Restrooms:
Cleaning surfaces that many people touch is very important to eliminate the chances of transmission of diseases. Public transport and Restrooms can be potential spreaders of contagious diseases. Wipes can be used to clean surfaces, handles, seats, and high-touch areas quickly and effectively.
Body or Sanitizing Wipes:
These wipes are generally for personal or individual use:
• Body or Sanitizing wipes are easy and convenient to use
• Are gentle on the skin
• Are hypoallergenic
• Are Non-toxic
• Sanitizing wipes will not affect surfaces, and won’t degrade or corrode plastic, rubber, wood, or metal
• Won’t fade surface
• Friendly with Electric equipment, keyboards.
Body or sanitizing wipes are easy, handy, and friendly, but they have some drawbacks like;
• They effectively reduce the count of bacteria, but cannot eliminate them completely
• They cannot kill viruses
• They are not effective on bacteria
All in all, body or sanitization wipes won’t disinfect surfaces completely.
These wipes are commonly used in public or high-traffic area:
• Disinfecting wipes effectively kill bacteria and viruses
• It eliminates common viruses
• It is very convenient to clean and disinfect surfaces in high-traffic areas
• Effective in medical facilities
• Safe and user-friendly
Disinfecting wipes are handy and great in eliminating bacteria and viruses alike, but they have some drawbacks like;
• They are not entirely safe and can cause harm to the skin
• Not advised to use around food or eatables
• Can be toxic
• Can damage some types of surfaces or materials
All in all, disinfecting wipes will do the cleaning but need care while handling
Things to understand:
1. Wipes are good, but cleaning and washing regularly are necessary.
2. Though wipes can be handy, sanitizing and disinfecting with proper cleaning solutions, with help of experts, is advised
3. Wipes can work only on hard surfaces. They are mostly useless on porous surfaces
How to use wipes?
1. Use wipes on intact or unbroken skin. Used on scratched skin or wounds can cause irritation
2. After wiping, let skin or surface dry on its own to effectively clean bacteria and viruses
3. Discard wipes properly and immediately
4. Store wipes properly. If stored at extreme temperature, wipes can dry out or their ingredients can change or lose their effectiveness
5. Use wipes for their intended use only. Read the instructions on the label carefully and follow them
6. Consult an expert before using wipes if you have skin or other allergies
Wipes are a handy, effective, and efficient way of keeping a hygienic environment intact. They are versatile, user-friendly, and useful in almost all environments.